This is another Magimix Cook Expert recipe and as usual, I give you the simple instruction if you don’t have a thermo-machine (yet;) I hope you will like my Butternut and Kaffir Lime Soup. It takes only the time to gather the few ingredients and peel and chop half a butternut. So it’s a quick and simple one.
I have added a special touch to the classic Butternut soup: kaffir lime leaves and Aleppo pepper.
So this is what you need: water, milk, a stock cube, a tbs of Chinese 5 spice, grated nutmeg, vaguely chopped kaffir lime leaves (I cut mine quite finely to make a pretty picture) and of course a half butternut pumpkin.
I use my Magimix Cook expert for soup because basically what you need to do is tip all this in the metal bowl, press on the Velouté soup program and go have a bath with bubbles and a glass of premium craft beer. I didn’t think of soup making when I bought this machine but I think it’s possibly the function I use the most. We’re a soup eating family :)
What makes the dish is the flavour of kaffir lime. I like to add whole leaves (the small ones) on top to serve and my kids and I love to bite into them with each spoon of soup to add more of this amazing flavour. For practical reason, if you have guest it’s better to chop a few leaves finely (using scissors, a knife or the mini bowl of your food processor) then sprinkle the green leaf flakes on top.
The other touch I like to add on it is Aleppo pepper. It gives the soup a bit of spice but not too much. Just the right amount to share it with kids and still travel when you close your eyes.
Look at this hot Butternut and Kaffir Lime Soup… don’t you want to wrap yourself in a knitted throw and eat it slowly?
Here is the recipe.
- ½ a butternut pumpkin
- 6 leaves of kaffir lime roughly cut with scissors or a knife on a board.
- 500ml water
- 300ml milk
- 1 stock cube (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Aleppo pepper to sprinkle at the end (optional)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves for the final touch (optional)
- (no salt because of the stock cube)
- Peel and chop butternut into 2" pieces (5 cm).
- Tip all ingredients in the metal bowl of the Magimix Cook Expert. Select the Velouté Soup program and press Auto. Come back when it beeps :)
- If you don't have a thermo-appliance, simply tip all the ingredients in a pot. Simmer for 30 mins and whiz using a plunge mixer.
- Optional: chop 4 leaves of Kaffir lime very finely.
- Sprinkle Aleppo pepper and chopped leaves.