This is a special dessert, dear to my heart, and palate… I use my Magimix Cook Expert to make it but you can do it the traditional way. The vast advantage of using a thermo-machine (Thermomix also, or Tefal Cuisine companion, or KitchenAid Cook processor or any machine I studied HERE) is that you put al the ingredients in 1 bowl. Press a button and 12 minutes later you got your cream, contact-film it with plastic wrap and let it cool in the fridge. Sooo easy.
All you need is 7 yolks or 6 big ones, raw sugar (my favourite) or any sugar, a touch of vanilla paste and coffee extract.
Add milk, a little bit of corn flour for thickness or more if you like thicker custard, or none at all if you like a runny, French style crème anglaise.
- - 7 small egg yolks or 6 big ones
- - 80g raw sugar
- - 1 tbs coffee emulsion or coffee extract
- - ½ tbs vanilla bean paste
- - 500ml milk
- - ½ tbs corn flour or starch (optional)
- THERMOMACHINE WAY: Put everything in the bowl. Select 12 mins / Speed 4 / 80°C.
- PAN WAY: Pour milk in a saucepan. Tip Vanilla paste and coffee extract in and bring to the simmering point. Mix egg, corn flour and sugar in a bowl to a moussy texture. Pour hot milk while whisking energetically. Tip it all back in saucepan and cook on medium heat (do not go over 85°C and certainly do not boil or it will curdle) until the custard coats a spoon or spatula and your finger leaves a trace on it.
- Let cool with a plastic wrap touching the cream, in the fridge.