This Grapefruit & Prawn Salad recipe is a French classic. It’s super easy and healthy. You can present it in the grapefruit skins or even if you prefer smaller servings, in the avocado skins.
The secret is the famous “cocktail sauce” which is basically a vinaigrette with yoghurt and tomato sauce (Ketchup).
If the grapefruit skins are thick you can cut a little chunk at the base so it stands straight in a plate. If not, you can serve them in a pretty bowl.
These super yummy grapefruits come from Nana Flo’s garden. It’s not me, well… not yet. It’s Wendell’s grandmother. She has this tiny grapefruit tree that produces football size fruits which are full of juice, bitter but not too much and very flavoursome.
Because I’m the only one who loves them in the family, I get bags and bags of them. Grapefruit & prawn salad is a perfect recipe to use them and make kids eat them because the cocktail sauce balances the bitterness and it is really delicious.
You need 1 grapefruit for 2 people, 400 to 500g of cooked prawn (weight with shells), 1 avocado, fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, lemon thyme, and cocktail sauce (see recipe below).
It’s super fresh. It tastes naughty but it’s not!
Once you’ve mixed everything, it’s time to fill the grapefruits halves.
You can keep 1 prawn, 1 twig of parsley and 2 cubes of avocado per person to decorate each grapefruit half.
So here it is, my grapefruit & prawn salad, let me know if you make it :) I’d love to hear your impressions.
- 2 large grapefruits or 4 small ones
- 1 avocado
- 500g of cooked and cold prawns (weight with shells)
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar for a pink sauce, or caramelised balsamic for a beige sauce.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato sauce (the Ketchup type)
- ½ tbs seed mustard
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 8 tbs yoghurt
- Fresh herbs such as parsley, lemon thyme and chives
- Salt & Pepper
- Cut the grapefruits in half sideways (the hole for the branch upwards :).
- Using a sharp knife, circumnavigate the interior, not too close to the skin, you want to see pulp not the white part. Make sure you don't pierce the yellow skin if you're going to use it as a bowl.
- Cut the flesh out in little triangles discarding the soft transparent skin surrounding each piece (it's the very bitter part). Put the flesh aside. Remove and discard the remaining bits and pips to make a nice serving bowl out of each grapefruit half.
- Shell the cooked prawns, set aside.
- Peal the avocado and cut its flesh in cubes.
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, tomato sauce, mustard, vinegars, yoghurt, salt and pepper. Whisk well.
- Add grapefruit pieces, herbs, avocado and prawn, mix delicately with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Pour mixture in each half grapefruit.
- Place each in a little bowl and serve.
Check out my other entrées recipes HERE.
See what’s boiling on my Instagram :)