This is the simplest soup ever but it tastes like a million bucks.
It is called Vichyssoise soup in French. It comes from the city of Vichy. I make it with my Magimix Cook Expert thermo-machine because it’s so much easier, faster and actually creamier thank to its powerful blades which at speed 18 make a proper “velouté” (the smoothest of French soups) usually achieved using a Bamix in posh restaurants.
Of course, and as usual on The Flo Show, this recipe is also written for those who use a good old saucepan and a plunge mixer.
Oh and about the photo, I took it just after I had one of those days-in-heaven. I attended Megan Morton’s very first SPPW! It’s her new Style Prac Photography Workshop. Read more about it HERE and see my mini film of the event THERE.
So this photo was my first play-around with my new toys from the stylist kit we were given and I spare you the thousands of variations of this scene using all the accessories. Let’s stick to that one!
And here is the recipe.
- 500g potatoes (any sort)
- 1 large leak or 2 small (about 300g)
- 800g water
- 200ml milk (full cream or skim)
- 50g butter or less or not at all it's still delicious. Butter can be salted or not, then you can add a bit of salt.
- Salt and pepper.
- 50ml cream (any sort, sour, double, UHT, fresh, crème fraîche, whatever). You can also skip that one if you want.
- Chives and to decorate and if you like red: pink peppercorns or Aleppo pepper.
- Clean potatoes and leek. Cut them in 2 to 4 pieces. I keep the skin but you can peel them if you prefer.
- WITH A THERMO MACHINE: Put all the ingredients in the machine except cream and decoration things (chives and peppercorns). If using Magimix Cook Expert choose the creamed soup program (soupe veloutée), 30 mins and go. When it's over, add cream and in the Expert mode: 30 secs at speed 18. If using any other machine cook at 100°C using a low speed and after 30 mins progressively raise the speed to max. Decorate with chives and peppercorns.
- WITH A PAN AND PLUNGE MIXER: Put all the ingredients in the pan except cream and decoration things (chives and peppercorns). Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Mix until smooth using a plunge mixer. Serve and decorate with chives and peppercorns
NOTE : this recipe is inspired from the Magimix Cookbook. It’s simpler, it’s the way I have been making it for the last year. It’s been tested more than 30 times :)