Here is an exotic ice-cream which texture is delicious if you use an ice-cream maker. Coconut, white rum and ginger ice-cream is the perfect match for Flambées bananas or Banana Tarte Tatin (in the photos), fresh mango, or any exotic dessert.
This coconut ice-cream is a very easy to make, with no egg, no fuss, just a syrup, yoghurt and coconut milk.
You may want to add exotic ingredients such as candied ginger which you will add before churning or kaffir lime leaves very finely chopped or fresh chilli which you will boil with the syrup.
It keeps for a few days without getting too firm or crystallised. The mix is ideal for a very nice texture that lasts.
- 450g sugar
- 450g water
- 1 knob of ginger grated (3 cm)
- 400g coconut milk
- 250g yoghurt (plain, natural and unsweetened, I use YOPLUS)
- 3 tbs white rum
- 2 tbs candied ginger finely chopped (optional)
- Boil sugar and water for 2 mins. Remove from heat.
- Add grated ginger, cover pan and leave for 5 mins.
- Add coconut milk, yoghurt and rum.
- Leave to cool (or to go faster pour liquid in a cold bowl, place bowl in a sink with cold water and ice cubes).
- When liquid is cold pour in a sorbetière or ice-cream maker. If you don't have one you can make a granité by pouring the liquid in a bowl and grate regularly with a fork while it freezes