Financiers are the same type of little cakes as friands. They are almond based tea party kind of delights :)
Fancy French Pistachio Financiers are not rectangular as they usually are. I used fancy moulds to make them a bit different. These silicon moulds are easy to find these days, online or in good cooking utensils stores.
They are pretty dense cakes so it is better to keep them small.
This is all you need: butter, flour, almond meal, pistachios, egg whites, sugar, almond essence and a bit of baking powder (not in the picture for some mysterious reason…).
Well, and a little helper is optional but very much appreciated. You can even make some almond milk for her to keep her hands occupied during the moments when she cannot intervene.
For this recipe I used my Magimix Cook Expert food processor. I didn’t use the thermo part. You can use any food processor or whisk and elbow grease :)
The best part of using a Magimix is that you get to press buttons and watch things happen, safely behind the glass lid.
You can eat them for tea or for dessert accompanied by a cold vanilla or kirsch custard.
Optional: you can add a few alcohol marinated cherries well strained and pitted in the batter.
So here is the recipe. Let me know how you found these Fancy French Pistachio Financiers.
- 170g icing sugar (or any white/raw sugar you pulverise in a food processor)
- 40g whole shelled unsalted pistachios
- 200g butter
- 60g flour
- 160g almond meal
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 6 egg whites
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Pulverise sugar in the Magimix's metal bowl. 45 sec / Speed 18. Pour in a small bowl and set aside. Don't wash the metal bowl.
- Place pistachios in the Magimix's metal or transparent bowl. Pulse or 30 sec / Speed 15. Pour in a small bowl and set aside. Don't wash the metal bowl.
- Cut butter in little cubes. Tip in the Magimix's bowl. 2 mins / Speed 3 / 80°C.
- Add flour, almond, pistachios, pulverised sugar, salt, baking powder, almond essence. Chose the Cake/Pastry program or simply mix well not for too long. Stop and scrape down.
- Start the Cake/Pastry program, or mix again, and through the hole, add the egg whites.
- Butter or spray moulds with coconut oil. Tip dough in the moulds (with a pancake batter dispenser if you have one, it's fantastic) or a small ladle.
- Bake for 20 to 30 mins, depending on the mould. The smaller the quicker.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack a little before serving warm or cold.