Pairing spinach and goat cheese is a French classic. Here I propose a very simple tart or quiche, easy and quick to make.
I make the pastry in a food processor: Magimix Cook Expert in a few minutes and let it rest in the fridge for minimum 30 mins wrapped in plastic wrap.
I use ceramic beads to hold the sides.
I let the spinach “sweat” as we say in French in a heated saucepan with olive oil. You can choose to use butter, which is a bit tastier and naughty :)
The very simple batter is made of 3 eggs whisked with milk, salt and pepper.
My special touch is the pink peppercorn decor :) I love their flavour. If you want to buy top quality ones, look HERE.
This tart is wonderful warm or cold with a green salad.
- 125g diced butter
- 250g flour
- 80g cold water
- 1 pinch of salt and cracked pepper or any spice for a special touch.
- 1 spinach bunch
- 1 tbs olive oil (or butter if you prefer)
- 1 log of fresh goat cheese (Soignon is a good one)
- 3 eggs
- 400g milk (if you prefer a creamier version, replace a part of the milk by cream)
- a handful of cheese such as grated cheddar, emmenthal or gruyère to your liking (optional)
- a few pink peppercorns
- salt & pepper
- Start with the pastry. Put all ingredients in a food processor, stand mixer or thermo-machine or even in a bowl. Launch the pastry program or mix all ingredients (no heat required) into a ball. It usually takes 2 mins.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat oven at 160°C.
- Flatten the ball into a thin pastry with a rolling pin.
- Butter mould or spray coconut oil.
- Place pastry in the mould, cut the excess, roll the top of edges a little. Using a fork prick the pastry all over to avoid the crust to rise. Place baking paper over and pour dry beans or ceramic beads to keep the pastry crust into place and avoid the sides to collapse.
- Put in the oven until the crust is firm, slightly golden.
- Prepare the filling. Wash the spinach.
- Tip oil or butter in a frying pan. On a medium melt the spinach for 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs, pour the milk, add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Whisk well. Add grated cheese and ham.
- Cut the goat cheese log in slices.
- Take the crust out of the oven when ready. Tip soft spinach.
- Pour the egg mixture on top.
- Place the goat cheese slices.
- Sprinkle pink peppercorns or place 1 or 2 per goat slice.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese (optional)
- Bake for 30 mins or until the top has risen and has become golden.