Super easy to make, these Matcha & White Chocolate Cookies are a great treat for afternoon tea. Matcha or green tea gun powder is one of my favourite ingredients. I must confess here a terrible addiction to green tea ice cream… And because after all these scoops I became a bit of an expert, I can tell you that there is matcha and matcha. As it has become all the rage in the last few years, you can find it in many more places as about fifteen years ago when I had my first green ice cream, and in all sorts of different qualities. My advice is, buy the best type, from Japan and preferably in those mini metal cans.
I made this batch of Matcha & White Chocolate Cookies using my Magimix Cook Expert but you can use any stand mixer or your hands!
If doing it by hand, it’s much easier to use soft butter. In a machine, it doesn’t matter. Whatever your method, sugar, butter, egg and vanilla paste/extract are worked first. Then flour, baking powder and green tea (matcha) powder are mixed in. Then you can add your white chocolate chips.
I keep quite a large stock of cooking chocolates of the three sorts in my overcrowded cupboards. I never buy chocolate chips because for some reason I always forget them and they get all white… I prefer cutting my own chips, it’s a zen activity.
If your food processor becomes a bit lazy at the end of the mixing, don’t worry, and take the dough out on the bench or a board and knead it yourself. It’s a very pleasant play-dough and you can steal a little bit, just for testing purposes.
So this is my super quick recipe for Matcha & White Chocolate Cookies:
- 200g white chocolate chips or a bar you chop. I have put up to 380g for the same recipe. Feel free to put as much as you want, 200g being a minium.
- 330g raw sugar
- 240g margarine preferably (or butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 egg (large)
- 380g white flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5g baking powder
- 15g matcha powder (green tea)
- Place the choc bar on a board. Using a large knife cut vertically and horizontally every half square. Keep aside.
- Mix sugar, margarine, egg and vanilla. Cook Expert: 3 mins / Speed 11 / 0°C.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and matcha and mix. Cook Expert: 2 mins / Speed 11 / 0°C.
- Add choc chips and mix. 30 secs / Speed 7 / 0°C.
- Tip dough in a bowl and knead a bit more if needs be so the green is the same everywhere. Place bowl in the fridge for 30 mins minimum, it need to be stiff. If still too smooth, leave 30 mins more.
- Pre-heat oven at 140°C.
- Using a spoon or an ice-cream scooper make balls. All of them the same size. Space well.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes according to size of the cookies and your favourite texture. For large slightly uncooked cookies I keep them in the oven for 15 mins. They must still be quite soft.
- Take them out of the oven, leave them on the tray for 5 mins. Let them cool on a rack.
- Keep them in a biscuit jar or box (tin or glass).