OK, this is not haute-gastronomie but geez it’s good!
This is a very simple salad and as usual what makes it so good is the quality of the ingredients. My “tomato, fresh oregano and seeds salad” involves this very special Italian vinegar from PIAZZA GRANDE. It’s the Balsamic Dressing No. 4. I love it, it is very strong and flavoursome. It will turn a dull salad into a masterpiece.
I use a nutty Australian olive oil, an early harvest if you find one, ripe tomatoes (out of the fridge for a few hours please), fresh chilli oregano from my garden and a mix of seeds and sultanas.
My favourite salad mix contains sunflower & pumpkin seeds, sultanas and walnuts.
I crack some black pepper and sea salt on it and serve immediately. Salads don’t like to wait.
- - 4 large ripe tomatoes
- - 1 pretty twig of oregano (my favourite is the chilli sort) washed
- - 1 tbs pumpkin seeds
- - 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- - 1 tbs walnut lightly crushed
- - 1 tbs sultanas
- - 2 tbs of a nutty olive oil, the early harvest kind
- - 1 tbs very good vinegar, my choice for this salad is Balsamic Dressing No. 4 by Piazza Grande
- Take the tomatoes out of the fridge and leave them at room temperature for at least an hour. (Skip this part if you're in a hurry. Leaving tomatoes out gives them a much better taste).
- Cut tomatoes your way. Mine is to sit them belly button up ;) to cut them in two, then 4, etc. until I get fine slices.
- Pull oregano leaves and chop them finely.
- Sprinkle seeds, nuts and sultanas.
- Pour oil and vinegar when you are sure you'll be serving the salad within the next minutes.
- Crack fresh pepper and salt.
- Toss only at the last minute.
I hope you enjoy this very simple dish :)